Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Missing in Action..........and a bit of history

For the few buddies who read this: in case you've been wondering where I've been the last couple weeks, the ole finger is still screwed to hell!! Did pull ups on a bar yesterday for the first time in about a month and there was still a lot of pain. I'm thinking it's now gonna be at least a couple more weeks. Just know that I miss you and I may be completely insane soon if I can't get back out.

The MeatLocker II is coming together well. I've had a lot of time to work on it due to lack of actual climbing. As of now I have a 8ft long by 11ft high wall at 45 degrees, an 18ft long by 4ft wide roof that start about 4ft off the ground and runs at a slight angle to the top of my garage door and has a campus box sit start (rad!!), and a 5ft long by 11ft high power enduro wall that isn't quite as overhung as the 45 wall but is still gonna be baller! Next, I'll be building a pretty substantial campus board which will be about 6ft wide by 8ft tall with several different type rungs! I'm hoping to have the whole thing finished in the next couple weeks.

Now for holds??? I have about 150, but am gonna need much more than that to outfit the wall. If anyone out there has some old ones laying around and would like to donate to the Meatlocker II, shoot me an email at henson12@gmail.com. I would really appreciate it and could return the favor with a place to pull when it's raining or even a guided tour of the south. I may even take you to a few secret spots!!

Last but not least, I was reading a very interesting article on Sonnie Trotter's site about the history of training, and it got me thinking about all the time I've spent researching and reading everything I could find about climbing and the history of climbing. I really think it's important to know the history behind anything you're passionate about. I know that majority of climbers are younger now and probably haven't taken the time to sit down and learn about our sport, so I recommend that the next time you're surfing the web to read a bit about the history of rock climbing. It's important to know how we've come so far in a still little known sport, and to pay respect to the pioneers, rebels, free spirits who said fuck society and getting a job, I'm going climbing. They're the reason we have routes and boulder problems. They are the reason we can run to the local shop and grab a rope or crash pad. If it wasn't for them we would be just another group of lost souls searching for their place on this earth. Here are a few sites, you can take it from here. Peace and until next time, Lay off dem holiday carbs your climbing will thank you come January!

http://sonnietrotter.com/history/

http://www.johngill.net/

No comments: