Monday, June 28, 2010

Routes

It's been a crazy long time since I've been on a rope. Here in da souf the bouldering game in the winter is just too damn fantastic to worry about lactic acid, however this doesn't mean I don't love route climbing cause I do. When I first started climbing in 01 Sandrock was the place of choice; there were access issues a this place called Horsepens and you had to sneak in, plus there was always this tall blond headed dude and his posse staring you down, I mean who wanted that? Now fast forward almost 10 years later I still love Sandrock, the routes are awesome, I spend most my days at Horsepens and that tall blond dude is now the kingpin and a pretty nice dude. I love climbing!

OK, so I went to Sandrock yesterday after being out of the route game since early last fall. As usual I got my ass kicked climbed a couple moderates and after about 2 hours felt like I could lay down and sleep about 20 hours. It's easy to forget just how taxing route climbing is. First you have to load this heavy pack full of gear and walk, then unload your shit, strap your nuts in a vice which coincidentally is a key piece of gear for protecting your life, then you boulder like 5-10 boulder problems back to back, come down stare up for 10 minutes until your neck feels like its breaking, pack up and start all over. No wonder route climbers are usually such skinny fucks!

So this sounds like a terrible time but alas it's amazing, and I love it! I just wish I could climb full time so I could really dedicate more time to getting better at it before it gets really cold and boulders begin to shimmer with friction.

So the moral of this story is damn I need to train more I'm such a puss!

Love you all,

EZ

Ps, Tyler and Katie killed it as usual with some new hard sends! Oh what it must be like to be a young prodigy with no body fat and all the time in the world!

No comments: